Adjusting the Look of the Barcode using the Appearance Panel
The Appearance Panel allows you to tailor your custom barcode to exact needs. In particular, you can specify the scale and the DPI of the image, bar width and height, font and colors of the barcode.
Conveniently, numeric parameters are easily edited with the mouse: point the mouse cursor over the particular field until the cursor changes to the double arrow. Hold the left mouse button and move the mouse left to decrease the value, or right to increase it. If you want to type an exact number, just click the field.
Here is a brief description of parameters on the Appearance panel:
- Scale - allows you to adjust the size of the barcode
- DPI - sets the printing DPI of the raster barcode image. EPS format doesn’t take this into account
- Width adjustment - this parameter is in charge for fine bar width adjustments that are sometimes necessary to make the barcode look good after printing. The parameter sets the amount of dots to add or subtract from the base DPI value making bars bolder or thinner respectively. And unlike the DPI parameter, width adjustment works with vector images too.
- Light margin indicator is required to let barcode scanners distinguish the barcode from the surrounding graphics more easily. Specify whether or not you want the indicator(s) to show on the barcode and the distance.
- Auto height - calculates the required height of bars automatically. Otherwise, you can specify the height in the below field.
- Font - a font to display symbols of the barcode.
- Automatic font size - controls the overriding of the human readable text size.
- Human readable text size - controls the font size of the human readable text, if enabled using the check box above.
- Front/Back color - specifies the color of bars and the background. Importantly, colors use the CMYK color model which is ideal for printing.
The QR-codes display the following parameters here:
- QR size - defines the size of the QR-code
- Auto resizing - allow the program to automatically match the size of the QR-code to its contents.
- Adjust size to - this option tries to fit the QR-code to the specified dimension. If the content are too long to fit such a dimension, the QR-code is automatically increased.
- Error correction - sets the level of redunancy. The higher the value, the easier it is to recognize a damaged QR-code.