Origami 3.0.2 beta
27 Jan 2020
Another beta version of Origami 3 with some new features we’d like to test with you guys. Read on for more details about the update.
Custom Layer Names
One the main features of this update is the two new fields in the scene element properties called Custom front layer and Custom back layer:
Yes, this means you can assign a specific layer (or two) to a given scene element. This also means you can have multiple scene elements defined in a single Illustrator file. Just place them into different artboards, name their dieline layers unique enough and put those names into the two new fields. Done!
Two notes about the new feature:
- Origami uses exact matching for these fields, not the partial matching as with the layer names you define in settings. So simply use full layer names here;
- If the custom layer is not found, Origami doesn’t fall back to the names defined in settings. It reports a missed dieline instead.
There are many other minor improvements in this update. First of all, Illustrator operations became asynchronous, so you don’t have to wait while Origami is updating the artwork, you can keep editing the scene. Origami will display small status badges at the top right corner of the window, showing that there is a task running in background.
This update adds dielines exporting to EPS format, and also import/export to our internal JSON format for 3rd party integration projects.
Exported 3D models naming was changed, so there is a lower chance of collision if multiple 3D models are exported into the same folder. The textures are now named after the main 3D model file name.
Besides that there is a couple of small improvements here or there:
- OBJ materials improved a bit to better Mac OS preview;
- OBJ exporter also exports foil masks, as in version 2;
- Origami tries to keep the layers order in Illustrator when updating dielines;
- Illustrator foil color processing improved;
- Updating dieline and artwork does not affect paper thickness and other model parameters;
- Error banner appearance improved;
- New icons and artwork :)
Give the new version a try and let us know what you think.