27 Aug 2021
This is a first stable release of Boxshot 5.3 and it comes with features increasing the rendering speed. Read on for more details.
Realistic Lighting Mode
Boxshot 5 does a good job of computing physically correct lighting of the scenes. However, this is quite time–consuming and is not always needed.
This update adds an option that lets you cut some corners and render scenes much faster.
Rendering on GPU
This update adds GPU rendering option, but only for the latest M1 Macs.
Although the renderer itself works on Intel, the performance is far from acceptable even on the latest models from 2019. So unless you have a new ARM–based Mac, consider using the CPU renderer instead.
GPU rendering on Windows will be available in the near future.
More Rendering Options
Boxshot Professional and Ultimate got “Draft Quality” checkbox replaced with some more options, including time–based rendering. Now you get more control on the time you spend on rendering.
On Top Of That
Here is a list of other changes, compared to version 5.2:
- Native support of Apple Silicon;
- Faster and smoother user interface, some windows became panels;
- Optionally invisible omni lights;
- Embedded models now display their dimensions;
- OBJ file import improved;
- Stack and Step and Repeat tools optimized for speed;
- Step and Repeat tool now works in all directions;
- Job Manager can add tasks to the running queue;
- Fit to Images improved for books and other shapes;
- Floor rendering improved for reflections and shadows;
- Semi–transparent objects are properly rendered on transparent background;
- Shadows are rendered properly for transformed textures with bump;
- Shadows of tiled textures are rendered better;
- Simple Box shape can now have hard edges;
- Image Stack shapes got options for making fronts and backs unique;
- Extrude and 3D Text shapes got extra side mapping options;
- Pharma bottle got “cap offset” parameter;
- Various issues and crashes fixed, including the nasty CPU renderer crash we hunted for months.