Lights and Shadows in Boxshot
Now that we have added the "Easy lighting" tool to Boxshot, it's really easy to give your shape a shadow. This tutorial will show the process, step by step.
Add a Shape
Pick a shape in the left panel (say, a book) and drag it to the scene. Once the book is in place, rotate the camera to see it from an angle where you can also see the shadow you are going to add. You should have something like this at the moment:
Add a Shadow
Do you see the light bulb icon in the middle of the toolbar? Click it to run the easy lighting tool:
You've almost done already - isn't that amazing? Move the angle sliders to position the shadow as you need. Note that you are looking at a draft preview, so the shadow may not look realistic; but you can see its position, size and direction. The shadow will look great when you render it using raytracing. Click "OK" when you're done.
What Have We Done?
Now open the scene tree at the left to see what happened while you configured lighting:
As you can see, the Easy Lighting tool has added a light source (named EasyLight) and adjusted its position, radius and intensity. You can do the same yourself, if you like; the tool just makes your life easier. If you run the tool again, it will find the "EasyLight" object and read its settings, so you don't need to move sliders again.
What About Contrast?
If you open the scene parameters tab at the left, you'll see that the ambient light level and omni light intensity give 100% in total. That's how the contrast slider works - it balances between ambient lighting and point light intensity to make the shadow more or less intense.
Now click the "Render" button to see the realistic shadow:
The result is much better than what you saw in the preview, but has the same size, direction and intensity. So you don't need to render your object every time you make a change just to check that it is in the right place.
Great: you've just configured a light source and a shadow with a few mouse clicks. You also learned how to do this yourself, without any tools and helpers (just in case you want or need to).
- Decals - applying decals and configuring them.
- Saturated Reflection - make "rich" colorful reflections.
- Floor Reflection - reflecting scene objects in the floor.
- Complex Shape Rotation - how to do more than the rotation gizmo can handle.
- Loft Objects - Quick Start Guide - making loft objects from scracth or configuring the built-in ones.
- Loft Objects - FAQ - frequently asked questions about lofts, when the quick start guide is not enough.
- Loft Objects - Shape Editor - editing loft shapes using the built-in editor.
- Lathe Curve Editing - editing lathe curves using the built-in editor.
- Glass Materials - how to make semi-transparent objects look attractive.
- UV-Spot - how to make a uv-spot effect easily.
- Depth Of Field - adding more realism to your renderings.
- Semi-Transparent Labels - how to make semi-transparent and partial labels on bottles.
- Foil Effect - how to add foil-finishing to your shapes.
- 3D Text - making 3d text objects in Boxshot.
- Extruded Objects - how to make thick 3D object of your flat 2D curve.
- Conical Labels - making conical labels with distorted artwork.