EAN–13 Check Digit Calculator
The last digit of EAN–13 barcodes is a check digit. The check digit is used to detect errors mostly caused by human transcription.
The red mark below shows the check digit of EAN–13 barcode:
Check Digit Formula
To compute the check digit follow the simple rules:
- Sum all the digits in even positions and multiply by 3;
- Add all the the digits in odd positions (except for the last one which is check digit) to the number you’ve got;
- Divide that number by 10 and take the remainder;
- If the remainder is not 0, subtract it from 10.
- Job done!
Check Digit Calculator
To save time on doing the math, simply enter the barcode numbers into the field below and we’ll do the job for you:
Here goes the check digit calculation for barcode :
- The digits in even positions are: , their sum is , multiplied by 3 it is ;
- The digits in odd positions (except the last one) are: , their sum is , added to the number above it is ;
- Dividing by 10 gives us as a remainder;
- It is not zero, so subtracting it from 10 to get the check digit: .
- It is zero, so just using it as is.
The check digit is ""
If you work with barcodes, give our barcode software a try, it will save you much more time than this calculator.
More Barcode Tutorials
- Installation — how to install Barcode generator;
- License Activation — how to activate Barcode software with a license key.
- User Interface — Barcode user interface explained in details;
- Barcode Management — adding, renaming, cloning and deleting barcodes;
- Importing Barcodes — importing barcode images;
- Custom Texts — adding custom text elements to barcodes;
- Marks Panel — configuring border, margins and canvas of barcodes;
- Bar Width Reduction — adjusting barcodes to compensate for ink spread;
- Quiet Zone — making sure the barcodes can be scanned well.
- Making EAN–13 Barcodes — standard point–of–sale barcodes;
- EAN–13 Calculator — how to compute EAN–13 check digits.
- Making UPC–A Barcodes — learn to make UPC–A barcodes;
- Making UPC–E Barcodes — how to create UPC–E barcodes;
- UPC–A Calculator — compute check digits of UPC–A barcodes.
- NDC Barcodes — learn about NDC barcodes and how to make them;
- NDC Barcode Check Digit Calculator — how to compute NDC check digits.
- ISBN Barcode Generator — how to make ISBN barcodes;
- BC412 Barcode — making barcodes for silicon wafers identification;
- Transparent Barcodes — making barcodes with transparent background;
- PNG Barcodes — exporting barcodes to PNG format;
- Vector Barcodes — exporting barcodes to vector formats.
- Batch Processing — how to batch–convert text data to barcodes;
- Command Line Processing — command line barcode generation.
- Self–Drawing Barcode — drawing QR codes in browser with just an SVG file;
- Fake Barcodes — need a random barcode as a placeholder?