UPC-E Barcode Format
UPC-E barcodes contain a strip of scannable bars and an eight digit numerical code. Like UPC-A, numbers may only be used for this code, and the barcodes do not include letters or other characters. The code contains the same information as UPC-A in a shorter format, and is often converted from UPC-A code. It condenses that information by eliminating zeroes in the numerical code, and using complex numerical formulas. In the United States, new UPC codes must be requested from the nonprofit group GS1.
In UPC-E codes:
- The first number details the UPC’s number system;
- The second number serves as the checksum;
- A combination of six numbers that serve as both the manufacturing and product codes; and
- A single number at the end of the sequence serves as the check digit.
The check digit is used to ensure that the barcode has been read correctly.
The bars in UPC and EAN codes often appear similar and follow similar patterns. The only difference is where the readable digits are located. UPC code has been widely used since 1974 and cannot be translated into EAN code.
Like UPC-A, printed UPC-E codes also allow for the addition of a separate two- or five-digit supplemental symbol and code.
Standard UPC-A features that are supported by the Barcode Software include:
- Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) verification and correction;
- Barcode scale;
- Optional light margin indicators;
- Adjustable bars width for printing errors compensation;
- Manual and automatic bar height modes;
- Text font customization; and
- Customizable front and back colors with spot color support for EPS file export.
The Barcode Application can also export UPC-E barcodes to PNG or TIFF files with print-quality dots-per-inch. These barcodes can also be dragged-and-dropped directly into Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator from the Barcode Software.
Other Barcode Formats
Here you can find other barcode formats supported by our Barcode Software:
- Aztec Code Barcode
- Codabar Barcode
- CODE-128 Barcode
- CODE-39 Barcode
- CODE-93 Barcode
- DataBar Barcode
- Data Matrix Barcode
- EAN-13 Barcode
- EAN-8 Barcode
- GS1-128 Barcode
- Interleaved 2 of 5 Barcode
- ISBN-13 Barcode
- ITF-14 Barcode
- NDC Barcode
- PDF-417 Barcode
- Pharma Code Barcode
- QR-Code Barcode
- UPC-A Barcode
- UPC-E Barcode