UPC-A Barcode Format
UPC-A barcodes contain a strip of scannable bars and a 12 digit numerical code. Numbers may only be used for this code, UPC-A barcodes do not include letters or other characters. They are widely used in supermarkets and on books and other periodicals. In the United States, new UPC codes must be requested from the nonprofit group GS1.
In UPC-A codes:
- The first number details the UPC’s number system;
- The following five numbers are the manufacturing code;
- Five more numbers serve as the product code; and
- A single number at the end of the sequence serves as the check digit.
- The check digit is used to ensure that the barcode has been read correctly.
UPC-A is somewhat similar to the EAN-13 code system, and UPC-A code can be read by any machine that can read EAN-13. The bars in UPC and EAN codes often appear similar and follow similar patterns. The only difference is where the readable digits are located. UPC code has been widely used since 1974 and cannot be translated into EAN code.
Standard UPC-A features that are supported by the Barcode Software include:
- Optional +2 and +5 addon support;
- Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) verification and correction;
- Barcode scale;
- Add-on text justification;
- Optional light margin indicators;
- Configurable add-on distance;
- Adjustable bars width for printing errors compensation;
- Manual and automatic bar height modes;
- Text font customization; and
- Customizable front and back colors with spot color support for EPS file export.
UPC-A barcodes can be exported as PNG or TIFF files with the Barcode Generator. These exports will have print-quality dots-per-inch. Codes developed with the Barcode Software may also be dragged-and-dropped directly into Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Other Barcode Formats
Here you can find other barcode formats supported by our Barcode Software:
- Aztec Code Barcode
- Codabar Barcode
- CODE-128 Barcode
- CODE-39 Barcode
- CODE-93 Barcode
- DataBar Barcode
- Data Matrix Barcode
- EAN-13 Barcode
- EAN-8 Barcode
- GS1-128 Barcode
- Interleaved 2 of 5 Barcode
- ISBN-13 Barcode
- ITF-14 Barcode
- NDC Barcode
- PDF-417 Barcode
- Pharma Code Barcode
- QR-Code Barcode
- UPC-A Barcode
- UPC-E Barcode