PDF-417 Barcode Format
PDF-417 code can be used for shipping products, managing inventory, in paper airline boarding passes, and other applications. It is also used on certain forms of government-issued identification in the United States.
U.S. firm Symbol Technologies invented the code in 1991. A total of 929 codewords, or organized groups of data, can be used on PDF-417 barcodes.
The 4 in PDF-417 stands for the 4 bars and spaces that make up the barcode. The 17 in PDF-417 lets users know that the code is 17 units in length. PDF-417 symbols can be linked together as part of a longer sequence, and the size of PDF-417 barcodes can be customized to fit a user’s individual needs.
Each PDF-417 barcode features:
- A quiet zone before the code begins;
- A start pattern that identifies the format;
- A left row with a codeword containing with details on the information contained in the row;
- Between 1 and 30 units of encoded data in the center of the barcode;
- A right row with a codeword containing with details on the information contained in the row;
- A stop pattern; and
- A second quiet zone at the end of the barcode.
Standard PDF-417 features that are supported by the Barcode Software include:
- Code symbol dimension control;
- Adjustable error correction levels;
- Free text input mode with error detection;
- Manual and automatic column control; and
- Customizable front and back colors with spot color support for EPS file export.
With the Barcode Generator, sharp, high-quality PNG and TIFF PDF-417 renderings can be exported right to your desktop computer or mobile device. Images of these new codes can also be dragged and dropped directly into editing programs like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Other Barcode Formats
Here you can find other barcode formats supported by our Barcode Software:
- Aztec Code Barcode
- Codabar Barcode
- CODE-128 Barcode
- CODE-39 Barcode
- CODE-93 Barcode
- DataBar Barcode
- Data Matrix Barcode
- EAN-13 Barcode
- EAN-8 Barcode
- GS1-128 Barcode
- Interleaved 2 of 5 Barcode
- ISBN-13 Barcode
- ITF-14 Barcode
- NDC Barcode
- PDF-417 Barcode
- Pharma Code Barcode
- QR-Code Barcode
- UPC-A Barcode
- UPC-E Barcode