ISBN-13 Barcode Format
International Standard Book Number (ISBN) codes are assigned worldwide to help publishers identify certain works, such as books or audiobooks. The original ISBN format was created in 1965, and ISBN-13 code has been used since 2007. Each country has its own specific entity that assigns ISBN codes, and does not have the right to assign ISBN codes to publishers outside of its own borders.
The ISBN codes, which are assigned as 1, 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 or 100,000 numbers, identify individual publications and the publisher of the document. ISBN-10 format codes can easily be converted to ISBN-13 codes by simply adding the prefix 978.
ISBN-13 codes break down as follows:
- The first three numbers, normally 978, which is the EAN;
- The following two numbers, which is the group identification;
- A four-digit series which identifies the publisher of the work;
- Three additional digits which encode the title of the work; and
- A single check digit at the end of the sequence.
Two- and five-digit add-ons may also be included on a given publication. Two-digit codes are often used to detail the issue number or release date of periodicals such as newspapers and magazines, while five-digit codes are used to provide the price of a book when it is scanned by a barcode reader. The first number of the five-digit price code informs users on the currency used in the price, while the remaining four digits name the full price. For example, 51399 would mean the price of a given book is U.S. $13.99.
The Barcode Software can help you customize ISBN-13 barcodes by:
- Using 978 and 979 prefixes;
- Adding country-specific price formats for use in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and/or New Zealand; and
- Using custom ISBN text and number formatting.
- Manual add-on text control, including 9XXXX codes, is also supported.
Other standard EAN-13 features that are supported by the Barcode Generator include:
- Optional +2 and +5 addons;
- Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) verification and correction;
- Barcode scale;
- Add-on text justification;
- Optional light margin indicators;
- Configurable add-on distance;
- Adjustable bars width for printing errors compensation;
- Manual and automatic bar height modes;
- Text font customization; and
- Customizable front and back colors with spot color support for EPS file export.
High-quality PNG and TIFF ISBN-13 barcode images can be exported to your desktop, or dragged-and-dropped into Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, using the Barcode Generator Software.