EAN-13 Barcode Format
Thirteen-digit EAN-13 codes are assigned worldwide to identify items at the point-of-sale. Two- and five-digit codes can be added to the code to identify published works.
The code normally breaks down as follows:
- The first two numbers denote the EAN’s number system;
- The following five numbers, which are the manufacturing code;
- Five more numbers which serve as the product code; and
- A single check digit at the end of the sequence.
The EAN number system details a product’s country of origin. It can also be used for coupons, refund receipts, periodical identification and other uses. Barcodes are unique and can be assigned by manufacturers. The length of manufacturing and product codes may vary. The check digit is used to ensure that the barcode has been read correctly. The bars in EAN and UPC codes often appear similar and follow similar patterns. The only difference is where the readable digits are located.
Standard EAN-13 features that are supported by the Barcode software include:
- Optional +2 and +5 addons;
- Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) verification and correction;
- Barcode scale;
- Add-on text justification;
- Optional light margin indicators;
- Configurable add-on distance;
- Adjustable bars width for printing errors compensation;
- Manual and automatic bar height modes;
- Text font customization; and
- Customizable front and back colors with spot color support for EPS file export.
EAN-13 barcodes can be exported as PNG or TIFF files with the Barcode Generator Software. These exports will have print-quality dots-per-inch. Codes developed with the Barcode Generator may also be dragged-and-dropped directly into Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Other Barcode Formats
Here you can find other barcode formats supported by our Barcode Software:
- Aztec Code Barcode
- Codabar Barcode
- CODE-128 Barcode
- CODE-39 Barcode
- CODE-93 Barcode
- DataBar Barcode
- Data Matrix Barcode
- EAN-13 Barcode
- EAN-8 Barcode
- GS1-128 Barcode
- Interleaved 2 of 5 Barcode
- ISBN-13 Barcode
- ITF-14 Barcode
- NDC Barcode
- PDF-417 Barcode
- Pharma Code Barcode
- QR-Code Barcode
- UPC-A Barcode
- UPC-E Barcode