Conical Label from Artboard
As with the previous tutorial, we’ll start with a simple sample artwork:
Note that this time the artwork fills the whole artboard and has bleeds. The artwork dimensions are now defined by the artboard and is 20x7 centimeters, as in the previous tutorial.
When making the label from the artboard, you don’t need to select all the artwork, just make sure the artboard is active and click Objects → Conical Label → Make from Selected Artboard… item in the Illustrator main menu. The Ai Toolbox plugin interface will pop up.
Configuring the Cone
As when you make the label from selection, the plugin interface lets you define the cone parameters and how to apply your artwork there:
There are three parameters you can configure:
- Top diameter — the top diameter of the conical surface you want to apply the label to;
- Bottom diameter — the bottom diameter of the conical surface you want to apply the label to;
- Fit label width to — see the previous tutorial for more details.
All you need is to specify the cone diameters and where to apply the original label width. The plugin does the rest and displays the instant preview in background.
Once done, click the Commit button and get your label distorted for the conical surface you configured.
Note that the plugin doesn’t change the artboard size to fit the new label, so you need to do this yourself if you want.
The plugin uses Adobe Illustrator Envelope tool, so you can edit the artwork later if needed, or share the file with someone else who doesn’t have the plugin — the label will look distorted even without the plugin.
More Ai Toolbox Tutorials
- Installation — how to install the plugin;
- License Activation — how to activate the plugin with a license key.
Making Conical Labels
- Conical Label from Selection — making the label from the selected artwork;
- Conical Label from Artboard — making the label from the artboard content.
Renaming and Selection
- Bulk Rename in Illustrator — rename multiple elements at once;
- Selecting Paths by Name — bulk selection by name in Illustrator;
- Select → Same → Font — selecting objects with the same font in Illustrator.
Adobe and Adobe Illustrator are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.