08 Apr 2019
This version adds 2D image nodes or watermarks, improves low-end hardware support and adds many nice new features. Keep reading to know more.
2D Image Nodes (Watermarks)
Instead of having a single watermark defined in scene properties, we decided to make watermarks the first-class citizens and let you add as many overlaying images, as needed.
Now if you drop an image into the scene, you’ll see Create Watermark in the pop-up menu. Click it to add image as a flat overlaying object. Your old watermarks (if any) will be converted to the new ones automatically.
Read more about watermarks here.
There are many other improvements in this version:
- Mouse inversion option has been added to the settings;
- Scene tree got search field for easier node selection;
- Semi-transparent background images are now supported;
- Most-recently used files list is now longer and better;
- Collada, OBJ and FBX import has been improved;
- Better low-end graphics hardware support on Windows;
- AI and PDF formats support improved;
- The main toolbar has been updated to keep only the most important things there;
- Resource manager has been added, so you can manage external files used by the project.
There are two changes that may affect your workflow:
- AI files are now loaded with transparency, as in Boxshot. PDF files are loaded opaque on white background;
- GLB (Facebook) export option is now deprecated due to the low demand. It is hidden by default, but you can restore it in settings. It will be completely removed in the near future, so it is time to look for replacement. You can use this one for instance.
Koru is quite a powerful software, but sometimes it is not obvious how to do this or that. We have Tutorials page for that. We recently added some new tutorials there that you may find helpful:
- Watermarks - that’s about 2D image nodes, mentioned above;
- Customizing Background - how to replace that gray gradient you see on loading and behind the scenes exported with transparent bakground;
- Non-interactive Scenes - how to prevents scenes from stealing mouse wheel when you scroll above them;
- Metadata - what is node metadata and how to use them in exported scenes.
Most of the new tutorials are based on your questions, so you are more than welcome to keep asking :)
How To Upgrade?
Use the links below to download the latest version of Koru for your platform: